Tuesday 24 March 2015

Day 572: When I'm Cleaning Windows

Aah the Squeegee. A humble tool with a thousand uses. Or thereabouts.


In England the only reason I owned one of these babies was to wipe the windows during cleaning. I saw one approximately twice a year. Now I see one nearly every day.

I stole this from a guy who told me NOT to use a squeegee
I haven't showered in a single Swedish shower that didn't have one. (I say I see one NEARLY every day because....I don't have one in my flat! I suppose you could accuse me of not assimilating the culture.)

Once my boyfriend complimented me on doing a thorough job of wiping down the glass. I explained that I have window cleaners in my family. Also there's great novelty value in being a naked window cleaner. (Sometimes I have so much fun I actually wipe the glass down and then push all the water across the floor into the drain. SUCH FUN TO BE HAD IN SWEDEN.)

On a (not totally unrelated) side note, did you know the Romans and Greeks used to Squeegee each other over 2000 years ago at the baths? Tru story bro. I don't do this myself but I thought I would share. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN:

trust the University of Oxford if you don't trust me
What do you use yours for?

3 comments:

  1. Odd, this particularity is one I haven't come across in Sweden. Not at home, at the in-laws (out-laws?), other friends or relatives (whose houses I've showered in). One of us must have an atypical shower group. Though I know several showers at home in Canada that have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have them in Spain too!! I have also seen them as a cleaning appliance in other situations ie...spilt glass of water in the kitchen? Squeegee it away!

    Also...I have passed your blog onto a colleague moving to Sweden...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kralingen you'll probably think of me now when you inevitably come accross one. @Flora thanks for passing the blog along! I know it has a very niche audience!

    ReplyDelete