Friday 14 March 2014

Day 212: Fredagsmys


Fredagsmys is a difficult term to literally translate. It refers to the feeling of comfort that can only arise from it being the end of the working week. If I were to translate it, I would say "comfy fridays".

I just looked in 3 different dictionaries to see if I could get a less shit translation. All three did not have the word fredagsmys. Google translate helpfully offered "fredagsmys" as a translation of fredagsmys.

Fortunately most immigrants are quickly acclimatised to fredagsmys by grace of it being ubiquitous. There are some key elements to fredagsmys:

1. lösgodis (pick N mix sweets) the idea that Friday is fucking awesome is instilled from an early age in Swedish children by social conditioning. Most children are not allowed sweets throughout the week but they can gorge themselves stupid on sweets on Fridays. Children are obsessed with sweets on Fridays to the extent that today a girl in one of my schools followed me across the playground to ask:
"vem är du?" who are you? "Vad har du i ryggsäcken?" What do you have in your rucksack? 

It was a half eaten kexchoklad and she knew damn well what it was.


2. Mexican food yeah, I don't know why. A while ago I posted a picture showing a whole aisle of tacos in a supermarket. This is the reason why. The picture above is from today, I made nachos and wraps and my boyfriend was happy because I had unwittingly made them on a Friday, which is of course the correct day for such things.

3. att mysa to take it easy and put your feet up, be comfy, hug a cat maybe. Light some candles. Run a bath. eat Mexican food and gorge on sweets. Definitely not go out and party on a Friday night because it's -2 outside and a glass of rum and coke costs £10/$17/€12/100SEK if you're lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment