Saturday 24 May 2014

Day 282: Do you have a flag?





You know what's not popular in England?


Wearing the Union Jack, displaying the Union Jack, carrying a Union Jack, eating food with a Union Jack on, jacking off with a Union Jack (okay nobody does that but I like writing Jack. Not Jack as in "Jack shit" but just the word Jack. I'll stop now) The flag of choice for Flag events is the St. George's Cross, but unless it's the World Cup people will probably assume you're a racist for hanging it outside your house or wearing it in any way. Worst of all is having it shaved into your head. Still, it is something I've seen around. My mum had a pair of St.Georges cross flip-flops that came free in a newspaper for the last World Cup and she looked more and more like a racist as the World Cup fell further and further behind us. Eventually they broke and she got a nice non-racist pair.

You know what's popular in Sweden?

The Union Jack. How did you guess! Clever you.

I've seen more Union Jacks in Sweden than I ever cared to see in England. Parents of children I teach wear Union Jack handbags and I haven't yet figured out if they're doing it for my sake. Children of parents whose children I teach (wait what?) also wear the Union Jack as hair ribbons, iPhone cases, canvas shoes and T-shirts. Nobody wears the Swedish flag and I'm thinking of starting a trend. If it's just me on my own though, that's not a trend, that's just SAD.

WAIT

I googled flag clothes and these Keds are actually quite nice...



AAAaaaand they're sold out. That means someone else already started my trend? I will keep my eyes peeled.


No comments:

Post a Comment